I promise I’m almost done posting cookie recipes. If the Christmas season wasn’t bearing down on me it’d be easier to make or bake something besides cookies. Truthfully, I made these cookies a while ago but have been waiting to share them until Christmas Cookies were on your minds.
If Christmas cookies have not been on your mind you haven’t been reading my blog! And that means you missed the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap plus my chocolate chip cookie blowout. If you need a last-minute cookie idea I’m certain you can find one here! And don’t forget to visit Love & Olive Oil or The Little Kitchen to check out the recipe roundup from the recent Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap!
These melt in your mouth thumbprint cookies are quick and easy. There is no need to refrigerate the dough before baking them. The jam adds a colorful and festive touch with just a taste of sweetness. They freeze well, minus the jam, and are easily thawed and filled for a last-minute Christmas cookie platter. I used Stonewall Kitchen’s “Holiday Jam” for its beautiful cherry red color and their “Cinnamon Apple Jelly” for a lovely contrast in color and for the spicy cinnamony goodness it is.
Thumbprint Butter Cookies
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Assorted jams and/or preserves
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, oil, vanilla and butter flavoring. Combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks. Fill each cookie with 1/4 teaspoon jam and/or preserves; cool.
- Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Thumbprint Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Cookies & Candies